Thursday, October 2, 2008

Villupuram[01/10/2006]

* This post is related to IRFCA and Indian Railway stuffs unlike other trekking trips. Non-railfans enter at your own risk.


October 1st, 2006.

I joined IRFCA in 2004 during the last days of my school life. I have met Aditya Prabhakar, Deepesh Soni and Jack McKinnon but it was only in 2006 I met a MAS member for the first time. I joined IRFCA-MAS officially only on 1st October, 2006 with the "blessings" of Ashwanth. It was a major change in my career of railfanning and also in my personal life.

The day began very early for me. I got up around 4AM in the morning. As agreed earlier, I waited near APS Plaza, opposite to Adyar Bus Stand. There came my friend Ashwanth, (4 months elder to me). Handsome, fair and short! I am a great fan of Ashwanth. I was meeting Ashwanth for the first time. After handshakes and formal introductions, we both started towards Saidapet Railway Station together. It was 0515hrs in the morning and Ashwanth was damn fresh. We boarded a 5E bus. We arrived at Saidapet station earlier than the agreed scheduled time. We were to wait here for other guys Aravind, Vimalakar, Harish.

I heard a diesel horn. I knew instantly that some superfast express train was approaching. I looked at my watch and I guessed it could be 2634 Kanyakumari Express. I took my camera out and kept it ready, despite Ashwanth yelling not to take photographs inside Railway premises. I couldn't control my excitement, so I decided to take a risk. However, I saw a couple of RPF's standing in the corner. So I kept quiet and put my camera inside. I could see a grin on Ashwanth's face. WDP-3A came with KK. Aravind and Harish joined us soon! Together we boarded a local to Guindy. Vimalakar was waiting for us at Guindy.

We waited impatiently for 103 Madras Egmore-Pondicherry Passenger to arrive at GDY. It was on this day I got my nick name of "Humourous KK". As we waited for 103, Aravind said that it will get a ED WAP-4(Ara's favourite loco). Ashwanth felt that the power would be a AJJ WAM-4 (Ashwanth's favourite loco). A day earlier I dreamnt of WAM-4 taking our train. The dream came true. WAM-4#21232 came with 103SR. I could see a sign of dismay on Aravind's face. We boarded the 103 passenger at GDY at 06:52 hours. As usual the pickup was awesome. As we blasted through St. Thomas Mount, Pazhavanthangal, Meenambakkam, Chromepet we overtook a lot of EMU's and they were running parallel to us in slow line.

The WAM-4 was performing well and it was too good. If Ashwanth is reading this, he would be surely happy. The star performer for the day was this WAM-4, as our return trip wasn't a real high speed one. Harish Kumar.R joined us at Tambaram. On that day I never knew that after three years, Harish Kumar would lead the Wappie Warriors to victory defeating Dippifiers in Chennai Gang's Railway Premier League.

6124 Anantapuri Express crossed our train with an ERS WDM-2 as its power. I was standing near the door and the breeze was too strong. I feared that my camera would slip away! So I avoided the snap and I didn't take any photos. We reached Chengalpet on time and had our breakfast there. Poori, Idli, Pongal and vadai with sambar and chutney. We started on time from CGL and Naveen joined us at Melmaruvattur. We were put on loop at Tozhuppedu. NCJ-MS special crossed us at Tozhuppedu. It was already waiting in the outer it seems. Our train wasn't late, but the special had arrived early. After we were put on loop, it got its green signal and started notching up! Nice looking GOC WDM-2 #18375 was the power. At that time, I did something which would be remembered by every member in the MAS gang. In my opinion there was nothing funny about. But this South Cabin guy laughs each time when he sees this video. My posture was funny in his opinion. I stood quite near the tracks since the train wasn't coming at a great speed. When the locomotive came near I had an idea of my own! I wanted to take a photo of the loco from a snail's view. So I kneeled down suddenly and took a pic of WDM-2. I bet that I wasn't the first railnut that loco-pilot saw in his life time. These events were clearly recorded in Aravind's video.


WDM-2#18375 hauls Nagercoil Express towards Egmore.

We were again put on loop at Mailam for two crossings. 6127 Madras Egmore-Guruvayur Express and 2606 Tiruchy-Madras Egmore Pallavan Express. We found time to have a small chat with the Loco-Pilot. We introduced ourselves as railfans and briefly described the IRFCA and it's activities. I took a personal photo with the Asst. Loco Pilot. The photo was taken by Ashwanth and I enlarged and laminated it in my living room.

Wasting no time, we took our positions. I stood slightly away from the track. We kept our cameras ready and waited for 6127. WAP-4#22662 came with Guruvayur Express. On seeing us, the driver started honking. She crossed me at 90kmph+. I could feel the power of the brute. As the train neared, Harish got afraid and he away ran away from the scene!


Guruvayur Express overtakes our passenger. Click PLAY button to watch the video.

Then after a few minutes, 2606 Tiruchi-Chennai Egmore Pallavan Express came with WAM-4#20656. The train crossed us at 90kph+. It was an awesome sight. Ashwanth was delighted as its favourite WAM-4 was performing well. We all boarded our train and our train started towards Villupuram. We arrived at Villupuram Jn on time. 10:25hrs. We went to the Vegetarian VLR Stall and had our lunch. Then we waited for return train 2636-Madurai-Chennai Egmore Vaigai Express to arrive. 2636 arrived on time with a WDM-2. ED WAP-4#22662 was attached to it, after WDM-2 was removed.

Now came my horror! I don't mind standing in trains. But this time, I was to stand in a crowded unreserved compartment. This was a big challenge to me as during 2006-2007 I wasn't used to Un-Reserved travels. The train was damn crowded. With great difficulty, we got into the train and managed to get some space to stand! WAP-4#22662pulled us out of VM and in my opinion the LP seemed to be taking his own time to accelerate. I took my place in the vestibule and stood there till CGL. I could see the tracks and wheels below me through a hole. Toilet entrance was near to the vestibule. So guess my plight! However, we need to face such things in life. Especially when we are out railfanning in Indian Railways?

WAP-4 is certainly more powerful than WAM-4. But this driver wasn't really using the WAP-4's power. The train travelled at a decent speed but not fast enough to impress us. Vimal was feeling too tired and so he went for a nap sitting right in the middle of vestibule. Aravind sat at the door entrance and started clicking photos. Ashwanth, Harish and myself started talking of our personal journeys in the IR. I didn't feel tired. It was surprising for me! I thought I would faint in such an enviroment. The run was good, but still I felt that it could have been better.

Naveen got down at Chengalpet and proceeded towards his native Vandavasi. Harish Kumar got down at Tambaram. The rest got down at Mambalam (MBM). We arrived on time at Mambalam. End of an eventful day! Dawn of new epoch! I was introduced to the Chennai chapter for the first time! I did meet Poochi Venkat and Sridhar Joshi earlier on July 18th, 2006, but this day is considered as the official date. Only a few days after this trip, I adopted a dog from the streets and named it Damien.

-Krishna Kumar.S
a.k.a Junior KK

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It should be "Aravind and Co " . When did you change the name of the comp ?

Nic trip report !!

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@Ashwanth:

Dear Ashwanth,

Thanks for visiting my blog and making a comment. I wanted to honor you and hence your name was chosen. Remember at one point time, I did more trips with you. Only later we weren't able to do an RF together. And I am sure Aravind woundn't mind this.

Unknown said...

I started reading the post without looking at the date in the topic! Was kinda confused to see all the loco numbers changed!!! Realized it only when i saw 22662 hauling Guruvayur instead of 22649. :D

You really have a good memory power dude. i shud admit! :)

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@Ashwin:

Thanks for visiting my blog and placing comments. The numbers were actually noted by Naveen.And later sent to me.

I do have a "kind-of" memory but when it comes to loco numbers, I am not good at it.

Unknown said...

hey really quite funny to see harish sprinting away for life...maybe his mom when he was a kid taught him well on the law of gravity ( excuse me if there isint such a law coz i aint a science buff )