Friday, October 24, 2008

A day with Kargil Heroes


Protectors of my Motherland. For the sake of our happiness, these gentlemen have decided to throw away their life's desires, comforts. It was my life's greatest honour when these gentlemen agreed to pose for a snap with me.


Thanks to my good friend Ram Karthik Seshadri, I was able to achieve one of my dreams. This wasn't the first time he was doing something great to me. The sun was ready to set. At that time, I noticed a group of Indian Army Soldiers near Tanks and Infantry guns. I went nostalgic. I remembered the Republic day parades. Brave soldiers marching! Sadly, many marched to death. Young widows accept medals from the President and Prime Minister for their husbands sacrifice. Women becoming widows at an early age of 18-19. My nation has never waged a war against anyone! What sin has my Motherland done that God punishes my nation so harsh despite my country being the most humane? And if by any chance my favourite God Perumal is reading this blog, I hope that He grants salvation and accepts them at Vaikuntam, His Heavenly Abode.



IFG of Indian Army Artillery Division, similar to the one deployed by the Soviet Union during World War 2.


I was talking to Sepoy Kalaivanan(seen right) as he painfully recollected the events of Kargil War. He is from Bodinayakkanur, near Madurai. I was observing his eyes closely. A few drop of tears. He served in the border for 3 years. The ill-fated Kargil War took place very soon after he was posted there. He said that the Indian Army needed to deal with professionally trained infiltrators who had been equipped with mines, anti-aircraft guns, grenades.


He said that he had just finished twelth and was waiting for results. He got the calling order from the Indian Army. After joining, he was immediately trained in all disciplines and was trained even in Hindi for 3 months. He even commented that everyday at the border was like "A diwali". He even commented that even as the nation celebrated Diwali at home, he fired the howitzer gun to prevent an infiltration on the same day.



Characteristics of 105mm/37mm IFG(Infantry Fighting Gun). This gun was deployed during Kargil war.


Havildar Boomi Balan said that protecting the NH-1A was tough during Kargil War. The infiltrators had captured suitable vantage points and NH-1A was clearly visible. It was the route connecting Leh and Srinagar. Under many circumstances, traveling during the day was impossible as you would be a clear target for the infiltrators. Even at nights, you are a clear target as your headlights will indicate your location. Many Indian Army trucks often drove at high speeds without headlights to escape possible attacks. I was amazed as the "Havildar" narrated many events and odds faced by the Indian Army.




The sun has set over the "Red" Flag. Lost but not forgotten! Guess what I am referring to actually.

I also had my own share of fun with Ram Karthik. I was on top of the tank and I was able to play with the gun. Though the ammunitions weren't there. It was still fun. I was slightly afraid that I was too nosy so personally I avoided much of "touchings". As I went crazy, Ram Karthik captured everything in his camera.



It's myself on top of the tank. Atlast got permission! Earlier, the officer didn't allow me. 2008 has been great when it comes to my hobbies. I was under engines, on top of engines and now on top of tanks. If God closes one door, he does opens the other door.


I was amazed at the engineering marvels. Amazing designs and amazing brains. Though destructive in nature, yet we need to appreciate it. We can still use it to defend ourselves from infiltrators. All the events brought back memories of childhood where my father purchased a battery operated tank for me. He also taught me how these machines work. Later, he taught me about the engines, which later became one of my major interests and a hobby.



A close picture of the wheels.



This is how a tank moves on land. Due to such gears and belts, it is able to move even in tough terrains.




The General with his most trusted machine. Brings back fond memories of school life. Dear friends, remember me playing Red Alert during my ninth standard?


It's me checking the gun.

The same tank but on a trolley now. Soviet designed T-72, manufactured in 1972 at Kharkiv, USSR(now Ukraine). Later, the Indians changed it and made greater modifications. Ajeya is the tank's name.



Commander, let's invade! No stopping anywhere.



After shooting photos we bid good bye to our dearest comrades and myself and Ram Karthik went to the nearby lake. We took some interesting photos . It was much more like a forest. Then we talked of other topics and the day ended.





No comments: