Thursday, October 2, 2008

Villupuram Trip with Ashwanth&Co[02/10/2008]


AJJ WAP-4#22649 hauls Nellai Express past Saidapet at early morning hours. Sorry for the blur.


October 2nd, 2008.

I returned from work at 0230hrs in the morning. I went to bed at 0235hrs and I got up at 0420hrs. My aunt and uncle were leaving for SBC in Brindavan Express. So my house was active even during morning hours. All my family members including me have the habit of starting early when boarding a train at Egmore or Central. Except 103/104 and EMU journeys, for the other journeys involving Express trains, divine respect is shown to the railways. For example, if we are boarding Pallavan Express at 1530hrs, we would be waiting at Egmore at 1330hrs, even before Vaigai Express has arrived at Chengalpet! If we are boarding 6177 Rockfort Express at 2230hrs, we would have arrived at MS at 2100hrs. My relatives started at 0445hrs in a call taxi and I started at 0510hrs.

I boarded a bus to reach Saidapet and I arrived at Saidapet well before the scheduled meeting time of 0615hrs. KJM WDP-4#20046 came with 2638 MDU-MS Pandian Express and crossed me at 50-60kph. What a beauty! That was my first spotting for the day. It was doing moderate speed. After sometime I spotted AJJ WAP-4#22649 with Nellai Express and I captured it in my mobile. The image wasn't clear! Ramki arrived at 0555hrs. Ashwanth joined us at 0605hrs and Aravind was the last person to join us at 0610hrs. We called Subba Raman to come along with us than boarding the train at Mambalam. Subbaraman had the plan of boarding 103SR at Mambalam. He boarded the next EMU and we joined him. We all got down at GDY and waited for 103SR to arrive.

The plan was to do a trip till Villupuram to celebrate two years of friendship. It was on October 1st, 2006, Chennai Members Harish, Harish Kumar, Jr.KK(myself), Ashwanth, Naveen, Aravind met each other for the first time.


Ashwanth meets Ramki at Saidapet. I think the two last met in December 2006.

Our plan was to take 103SR till Villupuram and then return by 2636 Vaigai Express. We saw WDM-3D#11112 with CAPE-MS Kanya Kumari Express and it crossed us at good speed. What a beauty! I was amazed at 3-D's power. Announcements came in the speakers that our train was on its way and was expected to arrive in a few minutes. It rolled in with WAM-4#21363. The surprising fact was the presence of 6 extra coaches at the loco end. Sometimes empty coaches, coaches in need of care/service/minor repairs are attached along with 103 and sent to VM. These coaches are later attached to Villupuram-Madurai Passenger which starts at 1430hrs at Villupuram. As per need, they are detached at Tiruchi or at Madurai.

Subbaraman and myself stood at the door while the rest of the gang occupied the other doors and emergency windows. This WAM-4 was a good performer. It was hauling a few extra coaches but the train still did great speeds.


L-R: Ashwanth, Ramki, Aravind and Subbaraman onboard EMU towards Guindy.

In 2006 Harish Kumar, Harish, Aravind, Ashwanth, Naveen, Vimal and myself were the participants for the same Villupuram trip. Today, Subba Raman was the addition. Harish Kumar was somewhere in North India trekking, Naveen and Vimal were busy and Harish couldn’t make it due to personal reasons. I was glad that Aravind and Ashwanth were there for this trip.


Subba Raman in action as the train blasts through suburbs after Guindy.

GOC WDP-3A#15534 hauled Podhigai Express and was pulling out of Tambaram when we entered. WAP-4#22693 was hauling Villupuram-Tambaram passenger and was spotted at Maraimalai Nagar Kamarajar. I was secretly hoping that my train would go late; so that I can expect Guruvayur Express overtake, somewhere after Chengalpet. But it didn't happen. Nowadays while taking 103SR, 2606 Pallavan Express crossing at Perani is the only assured action. When I did this same trip with the gang in 2006, things were different.


GOC WDP-3A#15534 hauls Sengottai Express. Just pulling out of Tambaram.

I spotted GOC WDP-3A#15503 with Pearl City Express near Singaperumal Koil. We had a long halt just outside CGL outer. I guessed that some EMU would be entering into CGL from Kanchipuram direction. WDM-2#18686 hauled 6714 Sethu Express. We arrived at CGL a bit late.


WAP-4#22693 with Villupuram-Tambaram Passenger at Maraimalai Nagar Kamarajar station.

As per announcements, Anantapuri Express was expected to arrive and Arokkonam passenger was ready to leave. TNP WDM-2#18597 came with 6124 Anantapuri Express. Within a few minutes, Tirukkural Express also entered into CGL with AJJ WAP-1 at its helm. I was a bit disappointed. I wished all these trains were a bit late, so that they would have crossed us after Chengalpet. The reason is after Chengalpet, the section is a single-line section and it would be loads of fun if you are put in loop! I like being put on loops. Whose interested in going fast? Definitely not me!


GOC WDP-3A#15503 hauls Pearl City Express. Spotted near Chengalpet.

We were given clearance at CGL after 10 minutes. We changed coaches and occupied the coaches in the front near the locomotive. We also had all the time in the world to have our breakfast. WAM-4#20573 was waiting at Ottivakkam with 6116 Pondicherry Express and was already in loop. I was a bit disappointed. Anyway, unpredictable things happen in life. Our run was pretty good and decent with the train stopping at a few extra places namely Ottivakkam, Padalam, Karunguzhi, Acharapakkam.


Aravind and Ashwanth.

At Perani, WAP-4#22232 was already waiting at the outer with Pallavan Express. It had 20613 WAM-4 attached to the rake but the pantos were down. We all got down to capture videos. Since the train had stopped at the outer, there was no chance of an high-speed crossing. By the time it crossed us it was doing only 40-50kph. Anyway, I still enjoyed it. While crossing Vikravandi we saw MG EMU rakes lying on ground. Tracks were uprooted. Near Villupuram, MG tankers were found lying in all positions. Meter Gauge was dying a natural death. We reached Villupuram at 10:20hrs. Within 10minutes, 6127 Guruvayur Express also pulled into Villpuram with WAP-4#22649.


LGD WAG-9#31138 hauled a goods rake and was stationed in a loop line at Tozhuppedu to allow us to overtake. Goods generate the maximum revenue for Indian Railways, but they always take the loop to allow passenger/express trains to overtake and cross!


Ramki is all set to take a photo of Pallavan Express.


ED WAP-4#22232 hauls TPJ-MS Pallavan Super Fast Express. Picture taken by camera mobile.


The train accelerates and crosses us. Since it was waiting in the outer, the much anticipated high-speed crossing didn't happen. By the time the train crossed us it was doing only around 50-60kph but I enjoyed it.



Ramki gives an accomplished look after taking a photo of Pallavan Express, which is seen in the background.


Old MG EMU car units were lying on the ground. MG dying a natural death.


An interesting structure. You might wonder what I found so enthralling in this image. Seriously, I don't know, but I liked it. Location: Vikravandi Railway station.


My train also stopped at Vikravandi.

We immediately purchased tickets for our return journey. Subbaraman was fortunate to meet an SRDF member K.S. Raj who was going to Neyveli. He had come by 6127. We had our lunch in the VLR and waited for 2636 to arrive! WDM-3D#11105 came with 2636 Vaigai Express. WAP-4#22649 was the power for 2636!

The run was good. Aravind was noting down the timings and he made simple calculations to calculate the speed of our train. The speed was around 110kmph(average). The section between Vikravandi and Perani, a distance of 6 kilometers was covered in 3 minutes.


Aravind's Statistics:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

NED is the station ocde for Nanded. Which station you are trying to mentione here?

Anonymous said...

should be Aravind and co da dai !

Good trip report !

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@Ramesh:

Dear Ramesh, thanks for visiting my blog. It is very much encouraging. Yeah as you said NED stands for Nanded. I just checked. Sorry.

-Krishna Kumar.S

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@Ashwanth:

I wanted to honor you buddy. So your name was chosen. Remember, I was meeting you after a long time.

-Krishna Kumar.S

Unknown said...

Krish, as u said Mr.Ashwanth does look like me in a particular angle!!! I was kinda shocked when i saw the photo in which he was sleeping...lol! Almost 80% he does look like me! :) Wonder what he thinks now! :/

Now coming to the post, u managed to get the best of a mobile camera i guess. i felt like travelling along with u guys that day with ur updates. nice post dude. :)

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@Ashwin:

Ashwin there is one difference between you and Ashwanth. Ashwanth is slightly more fat. You look slim. Yeah, indeed the best of camera mobile capture.Except for the early morning Nellai, everything came out well.

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@Ramesh: Sorry for late reply. NED. I meant to say Nedimodiyanur.

dineshpkm said...

i think it is Nedimolianur, the station which is closed now?