Saturday, November 8, 2008

Visiting Nanganallur


Some service work in B-line. The line towards Chennai Egmore. I am onboard an EMU towards Tambaram.


This blogspot article was written by Krishna Kumar.S (Jr.KK)


It was one of those peaceful days in November. I had been given some work at one of my relative's house. I had got up as early as 4'o clock, but I started only at 10'o clock due to delays at home. I boarded a semi-crowded MTC bus to Saidapet and then I boarded an EMU towards Pazhavanthangal. As my EMU reached Guindy, I could see some work going in B-line. An OHE van was standing and lots of people were on top of it. A wire has been hung from the line and tied to the corner of a post. Earthing? Generally, after switching OFF the main line, a iron bar is usually hung on the wire and earthed to remove the residual voltage. It is only after that the Engineers climb on top of the engine/locomotive/OHE Van to address the problem.




A closeup. So many people on top?


Soon my EMU was hitting high speeds. Sometimes, I regret that I should have tried for a job in railways other than core/software. However, there is still time for me to rethink. I admire such simple life. Being with trains, being in India, surrounded by temples, churches other than a hi-funda city, with rich selfish people. Ultimately, what's important is satisfaction and content. Simplicity is always better. However, this idea of mine would be heavily criticized by the so called "modern" younger generation calling me,"I don't know to enjoy life". LOL! They might even laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they are all the same. I have got my way and I like my originality. The fact is that I am only 22.


I get jealous of Lord Vishnu whenever I see this photo. He has got a sister and I have no one! At the same time, I am proud of my Lord when He blesses someone.


I got down at Pazhavanthangal (PZA) and I walked over the FOB to reach the other side of the station. I started my walk towards my "athimber's house" near the Hanuman Temple. Nanganallur hasn't changed much. This isn't the first time I am visiting this place. I had visited Nanganallur numerous times. But still it looks new and refreshing. Earlier the roads were pathetic, but nowadays it is okay. Cement roads were laid and I could see some small independant houses. No one in the roads, except a few dogs running over here and there. For some time, I really felt that I had rewinded back in time and walked out of dimensions. Felt like floating in air.

Rewind. India in 1980's. Valve Radios, pocket transistors, Ambassador cars/fiat cars, Boney-M music, Tuesday evening dramas in Doordarshan, Oliyum-Oliyum, Rangoli, Chitrahaar, Visu films, Bell-bottom pants bhagyaraj pants(though I wasn't interested), thayir/paruppu sadham, Solidaire/Dynora Television sets, conservative life style, Michael Madan Kamarajan type films, Crazy Mohan and S.Ve. Sekar dialogues, listening to Roopa Vahini(Srilankan National Broadcaster) through "self-constructed" antennas. At that time, I was not born, but by 1990's I was 4 years old and I remember quite a lot of things. Steam engines, diesel engines like YDM-4 hauling Cholan Express. Sheer bliss! Nothing to beat the lifestyle 1980's. I bet that! Dear God, bring back the traditional glories of my land, my state! Most of all bring back happiness! I know I am asking my God something which He can't do even for Himself if he desires so.


A closeup of one of the dwarabalakas. Raja Rajeshwari Temple, Nanganallur.

Nanganallur/Pazhavanthangal hasn't changed much. I have visited PZA(it's station code) many times during 1992-1993's. I still remember those days, when my father took me in Meter Gauge Electrical Motor Units during early morning hours to PZA. Sadly, nothing is permanent in this world. Even machines aren't permanent. MG was removed in 2004. But memories are always permanent. Photos, videos speak a lot more words. I was happy to see that people at PZA were still the same and following culture.

The weather was hot as I walked through lonely streets as it was noon by now. But I didn't feel the heat! Some mega serials running in some TV inside someone's house. Even at noon, I heard hymn of Vishnu Sahashranamam. I crossed the Raja Rajeshwari Temple and took a photos of a few sculptures there! Lots of trees were grown and the place was well planned. Not much of cars were seen and people prefer to walk here I guess. I could see much of cycles and two wheelers. I could see only few hotels. Surprisingly, no Pizza corners or Dominoes(as far as I know). Atlast, there is a place which is spared from Westernisation.


I sincerely thank My Lord for creating such a beautiful animal in this universe. Pic taken at my relative's house on that day.

I could see Iyer aathu mamas of 50-55 years wearing typical formal pants with shirt tucked out and not much of "bandha". Maybe they had taken leave from job on that day as it was Kandhar Sashti. I could see humbleness in their eyes. Cheerfulness, goodness at heart were evident from the brightness in their face. I could see a Madisar mami chit chatting happiliy of her daughter getting married to a wealthy boy and was going to settle in United States. But little did that mami think about the character of the boy? Though I am a brahmin, I hate onething with my community. A boy having wealth or having visited foreign country or working in an MNC is no way superior to the other men who works in India. We are all equal before God. A boy who would be truthful to her, who is physcally strong, who would protect her from evil is always a right match than someone who works in a big company. Such a bigshot would be most probably be a "chocolate". Has he got the guts to protect his wife if a couple of rogues corner? Too bad, that nowadays people look after comforts of life and live life the American way, forgetting that Indus Valley civilisation in India was the first recognised civilisation. I am quite critical of the way people find matches nowadays. The fun is that even women desire. This is news to me. Money, wealth, luxury are nothing compared to the greatness of Visnu/Jesus/Allah/Sai Baba/Zoroaster.

Anything purchased by money is short lived. What ultimately matters in life is the truth and only such memories related to that are permanent. That's why sometimes I don't move with everyone. I prefer to be with simple people rather someone who boasts/advices and forces ideologies on others. I want to be original and I am clear of what I am doing. That's the reason why I don't move with fellows who earn more than Rs. 25,000 or the person who has got a car, as generally such people are changed by money. I need humans who respect my feelings. Nothing more!

Since I had already visited the temples in Nanganallur, my purpose of visit was to meet only the relatives. I took my own time. I was in no hurry! I was again walking through streets. I could see a lot of teenage girls. Pattu Paavadai and churidhar's were are quite common in these places. For a while you would be thinking that I was "sighting-seeing". Nope, I wasn't. Atleast, at that time I wasn't "sighting adichufying". I wondered how it would be if I had a sister like that. A sister who would listen to me. A sister with whom I can play. A sister whom I can irritate and have fun. A sister for whom I would buy gifts or dress. A sister who will understand and help me when I am down. A sister who would find a good match for me and tie the third knot of the "thaali"! BLUSHES.

I went to my relative's house. Had fun there! On that day we decided to see old videos of functions. My cousin brother's poonal "Upanayanam" was chosen. It was during February 22/23, 1994. I was less than 8 years old at that time. The fun was I couldn't identify myself. I thought it was someother kid standing with my mother. The tiffin was Parotta(not like hotel ones) and pudhina chutney, raita. Fantastic. I love onions.



Poor shot! Sorry. Sethu Express being hauled by a diesel engine near Nanganallur.

I bid adieu after finishing my work there. I was walking all the way back to the railway station. There were a couple of girls coming back from college. Now I was really sighting them! "சும்மா சொல்ல கூடாது! சூப்பர் ஃபிகர்!! ஹோம்லீ லுக்!". Nice to see girls over here keeping up Indian culture. You might wonder what guts I have to write all this in my blog which is also read by my father? I am frank and straightforward!

I purchased tickets upto Saidapet. The time was around 17:10hrs. I decided to wait for another ten minutes. Rameshwaram bound Sethu Express would be coming. As expected, it came in all glory with a WDM-2(ERS??...)Generally, whenever I am in a railway station I would check my time, if it is nearer to any express or mainline crossings, I would wait for 15 or 20 minutes, see it and then proceed with any task! Mostly I wait even longer than 30 minutes to see Pallavan, Vaigai, Sethu, Kanyakumari expresses. Seeing WDM-2 was a good experience. There are a few things in life which haven't changed in the past years. Perumal's posture on the Adhi-Seshan, Pazhavanthal and ofcourse the WDM-2's, as they are serving Indian Railways for more than 30 years.

-Krishna Kumar.S

No comments: