Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tamilnadu-Land of temples

I recently returned from a trip to Kumbakonam and Mayavaram last weekend. The trip was successful as primary objective(Tirumanancheri) was achieved, however due to lack of time, most of the temples which were in the travel list were not covered. But I believe that temples should be explored in an aesthetic manner, without rushing for the sake of numbers and should be enjoyed in an aesthetic sense. While I don't approve Tamilnadu's anti-brahmin attitude(google for more information) and silly politics, I should honestly accept the fact that I respect TN primarily due to wonderful temples and some great people who live in regions of Mayavaram, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur, Trichy, Kanchipuram and Madurai. People are amazingly simple, kind and if you ask for directions for temple they answer with involvement rather than sake of it, or else consult with the person standing next to them and then reply. This is something amazing. While I agree with the fact that culprits, pick pockets, rogues could be found everywhere in the world and danger could come from anywhere, TN appears to be a relatively stable state.

The amount of satisfaction I get while visiting temples has no bounds. Amazing and sheer bliss. Lots and lots of temples with interesting sthala puranams, story behind and how it came to existence is available either as a book or in the Internet. After doing hard work at workplace in the corporate world, I get my batteries charged up only at places like Kumbakonam, Trichy and Madurai primarily.

Covering regions like Kumbakonam, Thanjavur and Mayavaram is humanly impossible in one go! Even if you target Kumbakonam for a trip, a week may not be enough. Maybe possible to cover all but only in numbers and not in spiritual sense. It would take a good 30mins to 2 hours for each temple depending on size, crowd and sculptures/things to see.

I am currently collecting information about temples in the following areas/regions and I hope to cover them in future trips. I may need to travel multiple times to the same place to cover temples as I can travel only during weekends and I need to return back to my city(for work) which is 350km far from these places. Weekends are just not enough! Considering the amount of money invested in buses, if properly planned in advance I can save some money by traveling in train as trains are cheap.

Regions to be covered:-

* Temples around Madurai.

* Most temples around Tiruchi have been covered. Planning to cover temples along Tiruchi-Kulithalai-Erode section.


* Thanjavur and temples between Thanjavur-Tiruchi and Thanjavur-Kumbakonam.

* Kumbakonam-This is massive and it requires a lot of days! A weekend is just not enough. There are many temples around Kumbakonam and it would be a wonderful experience to travel in and around Kumbakonam.

* Mayavaram/Sirkazhi-Thirunangur(11 Divya desams) and other nearby areas are in plan.

* Kanchipuram-Not to miss. Kanchipuram is also a must for any temple lover.

While I have visited all these places earlier, I still didn't have enough time in the past to cover all sites due to sheer number of temples present in these areas. So with the blessings of God, when I travel next again I hope to see the temples to which I haven't been even once. While I would love to do it again and see a few again, but still the unknown seems to be more exciting.

The real spice or taste lies in the fact that it is more enjoyable that if you read the history/wonders about a temple and then visit it. The joy is endless! Happy visiting temples folk.

God bless Tamilnadu!

Good luck.

No comments: