Sunday, August 8, 2010

Stress Buster-A friend's suggestion

How to cope up with stress, problems, bugs and useless people? There are many temporary fixes for the above mentioned problem, but these happen again and again. I was wondering whether there would be any permanent solution. Sometimes, I tackle worries by simply ignoring them. The true fact is that sometimes I am clueless about how to handle things, so that’s the reason why I prefer to ignore things. Fortunately, ignoring problem become solutions. Instead of getting worked up to find a solution, sometimes it is better to ignore problems.

In one such confusing scenario I was clueless. I was suggested by my friend/colleague to dance alone in room to the tune of your favourite music to relieve anger, stress, or boredom. I was surprised at this. At first I thought my friend was joking. I asked,” I don’t know how to dance?” The reply came,”Arre, it’s easy. Simple shake your hands and legs just like that to the tune. You will feel the difference”. The idea is a bit funny and interesting too. I decided to implement the same.

I was sitting with my machine at around 1AM. The compiler spit out errors as usual. I wasn’t irritated, as this work wasn’t my priority now, but still if I am able to accomplish this it would boost my overall confidence, morale and self esteem.

In such a scenario, I remembered the “dancing technique”. At 1AM in the night, I started listening to my favourite Michael Jackson’s-Smooth criminal. Sitting in front of my machine, I had a glass of water and started shaking my legs and hands simply to the tune of Smooth Criminal. I am not a dancer and I am a shy person when it comes to dancing and singing. I was also singing the exact lyrics and within a few minutes, my stress was gone!!!! Even Michael Jackson will turn in his grave, if he hears that his music has got so much of value.

However, by my experience I knew this was a temporary solution. This is something like anaesthesia. Before the effect of anaesthesia falls away, the “operations” need to be performed. I immediately started to work on a task. No, you guessed it wrong! It wasn’t the bit of code which was throwing error. I started to work on my travelogue about my recent trip to the town of Madurantakam (beloved). And after few hours, I came back to the piece of code and it was working fine.

But when I went to bed, I had a smile on my face. Shaking legs, hands for music...... LOL! How did that help me to solve the problem? God only knows. Whatever... I found out a way out thanks to my friend.

Thanks for your patient listening,

Regards,
Krishna Kumar.S
(Travel Writer/Rail nut)
IRFCA-MAS (Indian Railways Fan Club Association)
Visit us at: www.irfca.org

No comments: