Saturday, May 22, 2010

A trip to Madurantakam with Varsha


Madurantakam Yeri Katha Ramar.

February 30th, 2011.

This was the most fantastic day of my life. I took my younger sister Varsha to my favourite place Madurantakam, which is 84km south of Chennai. I love my sister very much and I had always wanted her to accompany in my travels, but it was never possible as she was very busy with her career and I didn’t want to disturb her too much. I never took her beyond TN. We started at 0600hrs from our house in Adyar. We boarded the new Tata Marcopolo type-M49 bus and got down at Guindy Railway station. The bus ticket cost Rs.3 each. We both walked to the ticket counter and purchased two tickets to Madurantakam. It cost Rs.14/- each.


Madurantakam Ram Temple-Gopuram.

The train was expected to arrive only at 06:55hrs. We had nearly 50 minutes at hand. We both sat in one of the platform benches and started talking about yesterday’s cricket match. I love “Varsh kutty” very much. The age difference isn’t much and I am elder to her only by one year! She has been my companion during my tough times and she has helped me to get through tough situations in life. I always use to tell our mother that she is more intelligent than me. But Varsha always believed that I was more talented due to experience gained through travels. I may have travelled, but I never had the ability to learn from the past nor use my so-called experience. What is the use if one couldn’t use his resources properly? What’s the point if hardwork goes in vain due to simple mistakes? But it was my sister Varsha who made me correct this mistake. I started learning from my mistakes in the past. She taught me to learn from my mistakes. Or rather made me learn using her own ways.


Taken during our return journey.

I was lost in my thoughts thinking about my sister, a shrill honk distracted me. It was a WAP-4 honk. WAP-4#22550 was hauling Pandian Express and it crossed us at high speed. I have taught Varsha to identify locomotives, numbers etc. After the train passed, she asked in an innocent childish voice, “Anna, is this WAP-4?” I replied, “Yes”.

I like this attitude in her. She tries to learn everything. She makes her own decisions after analysing things. Many think that liking trains is kiddish, but Varsha was different. Though she isn’t interested much in railways, she respects my love for these machines. She googles to finds details and tries to learn on her own about Railways. I have told her many times that she can also become a railfan, but she wasn’t interested in going to that eccentric level. She is 23, but still her voice is like a 6 year old child.


WDM-2#16881 with NCJ special at Karunguzhi.

We spent time watching a lot of trains coming from various places like Kanyakumari, Sengottai, Rameshwaram, Nagore. At 0710hrs, 103-Pondicherry Fast Passenger arrived at Guindy. It was nearly 15 minutes late. The locomotive for the day was WAP-4#22220. We boarded the second coach. There were few seats available, but I preferred to stand along with Varsha kutty atleast till our next halt. Within a few minutes, the train was doing 100kph. Varsha was standing near the door and I was a bit worried. I found two empty window seats and we both settled in it comfortably as we didn’t want to stand all the way. Our train reached Tambaram at 0730hrs. Just as we departed Tambaram, WDP-3A#15534 was seen entering Tambaram with Pothigai Express.


WDP-3A#15503 with Pearl City Express near Paranur.

Our train had halts at Guduvanchery, Potheri, Singaperumal Koil, Paranur and reached Chengalpet at 0815hrs, nearly 20 minutes late. WAP-4#22693 was seen hauling Villupuram-Tambaram passenger at Maraimalai Nagar. WDP-3A#15503 was spotted at Paranur hauling Pearl City Express. After 10 minutes halt at Chengalpet, our train started its run. Since all Chennai bound expresses from south were running late, our train being a passenger was put on loop giving preference to Expresses in the single line section. At Ottivakkam, WAP-4#22232 crossed us with Madurai-New Delhi Sampark Kranti Express. At Karunguzhi, WDM-2#16881 crossed our train with a weekly special from Nagercoil. I was enjoying the crossings and I got down each time to take photos but didn’t allow Varsha to get down! She got bit upset due to this.


WDP-3A#15534 with Pothigai Express near Tambaram.

Our train reached Madurantakam at 0915hrs. It was nearly 40 minutes late. We both walked for nearly 1 km to reach the temple which was located at the center of the town’s market. Varsha was visiting the temple for the first time and she was a bit excited. The temple wasn’t crowded much too. We had darshan of the Lord quite comfortably as there werent' many people around. As we explored the temple, I explained the legendary tale behind this temple.

In the year 1796, the temple authorities decided to build a separate shrine for Janakavalli Thayar (Goddess Sita). It was a rainy season and Madurantakam Tank was getting full. There was a fear that the bunds would give away and water would come into the town. At that time, Lt.Col. Plaze, the British collector noticed a huge pile of stones near the Temple. He inquired the purohits why there were so many bricks and stones inside the temple complex.

The purohits replied that those bricks were to be used for constructing a separate shrine for Goddess Sita. The collector was amused. Lt.Plaze said that building a shrine wasn’t a priority. He believed that the bricks should be used for repairing the bunds of the tank which had broken. The purohits replied that Lord Vishnu never betrayed any devotee and He always answers the prayers of his devotees. Purohits asked the Collector to pray to Lord Ram sincerely from his heart and they assured him that his prayers would be answered.


Madurantakam-Railway station entrance

The rains never stopped. The entire town of Madurantakam was filled with water everywhere and daily life was affected. Many feared that the tank would overflow and water will come into the town. As a District Collector, Lt.Col Plaze had a lot of work pressure due to this and he was extremely worried. He went to the spot along with his team and inspected the bunds. He prayed at heart that the bunds shouldn’t break.

There was a flash of lightning. He saw two figures standing at a distance. One of them had a bow in the hand. Lt.Col. Plaze was amazed and spell bound. It was none other than Lord Ram (Vishnu) and his divine brother Lakshman. His prayers were answered! Lord Ram and Lakshman themselves have taken the task of protecting the tank. When the rains stopped, the Collector approached the purohits and apologised to them for being sarcastic. He personally took charge of the construction expenses and a shrine for Janakavalli Thayar was built. A small idol of Col.Plaze is engraved in the walls of the shrine of Janakavalli Thayar as a sign of respect. Even in the temple entrance Col.Plaze’s name is mentioned in the pillars.

Coming back to the present....

Varsha kutty was impressed with the temple's beauty and the surroundings. I can notice that by her looks. We slowly went to other sannidhis one by one and had darshan of other deities. We spent time seeing the paintings on the walls too. Varsha even took a few snaps too. One particular image which impressed her was that of Goddess Parvati’s marriage in which Lord Vishnu was giving her to Lord Shiva. She couldn’t understand the significance of the picture entirely. I explained it to her. “Varsha, this practice is known as Kanya Dhanam. The bride’s father or elder brother gives away the girl to her husband. No Hindu marriage is complete without it”.


Madurantakam Lake.

We went around the temple thrice. Varsha was very happy. I was happy too. At last I did something useful for my sister. I love my sister very much. I like her kiddishness, innocence, anger. Sometimes I am afraid of her too. During my disappointments, she has always been with me trying to change my mind. If I refuse to change, she has even forced me to change. I had no options than obeying her as she has been along with me always giving me hope. She is more valuable to me than any other friends. In a few circumstances in the past when I was down, she has literally taken over my life and shown me the path to happiness.

This is similar to a state under President’s rule. She is my President. She would continue to rule me, till a proper Chief Minister comes to take care of me. But her part isn’t over yet. She would be present during the oath taking ceremony and tie the third knot in my marriage giving her approval and appointing a new girl as Chief Minister to monitor the state. She has every right over me and I am happy every time she uses her rights.

We had our breakfast at Nirmala Bhavan. We walked back to the railway station. It was a long walk! We purchased our tickets up to Mambalam and waited for the newly introduced Villupuram-Egmore Passenger. It came at 1205hrs with WAP-4#22390. I peeped into the locomotive and was surprised to see 55-year old Loco-Pilot Ram. I knew him very well for the past 5 years. I told him that I had come along with my sister to see the temple. He invited us for a ride. I agreed as this was perhaps the best chance to take Varsha in a real locomotive.

Varsha was excited as this was her first ride in a real locomotive. Within a few minutes our train was hitting 100kph! WAP-4 shakes a lot at high speed! The track sounds were awesome. Praang!!!! Praang!!! LP Ram even allowed Varsha kutty to operate the honks once. The passenger had only 10 coaches and it was a piece of cake for the WAP-4. We reached Mambalam at 1330hrs. We both got down at Mambalam and waved at Ram as he departed towards the final stop Egmore.

We walked towards T.Nagar bus stop and took a 5B bus to Gandhinagar bus stop. As we walked into our house, I asked her, “How was WAP-4 experience??????” She replied, “Superb! Awesome!”

-Krishna Kumar.S

This article is dedicated to all girls who are considered as sisters by me.

2 comments:

Aswin Kumar said...

Excellent imagination! The date February 30th itself is a good start! :D
I wish I had a sister too. And as usual you didn't forget to take me into those exact locations through your writing. It is such a gift to narrate scenes in that way.
And coming to the post, I personally liked the 'President's rule' part. Good was of correlating the role of a sister with that of a president.
I enjoyed reading this! :)
Cheers

Vaishnavi said...

nice article krishna.. you like your sister so much..