Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Madurai revisited after 15 years-Part II

The bus driver seems to be a regular visitor to the hotel. He was talking quite friendly with the owner. They were given free meals I guess. Well it happens in India. When bus drivers halt at hotel, the hotels get a lot of business. The owners in return give the drivers free meals.

After 30 minutes halt, we started towards TPJ. I could observe many engineering colleges being constructed. We arrived at Tiruchi Bus Stand after 3 hours of travel and boarded another local bus towards Government Hospital. My uncle was waiting there with the tickets. After brief introductions, Vimal bid farewell with the A/C bus tickets. I spent the evening with mama, chithappa and kutty cousin sisters. They insisted that I should return by A/C Bus if not a train. They said that TPJ-VM passenger run would be tiring. But I decided to carry on with my plan.

The next day morning, I got ready for my passenger journey trip. I was a bit excited as I know this could go down in my memories as one of my best journeys in Indian Railways. Chithappa accompanied me to give a send off. Ticket counters at TPJ were a bit crowded, so I decided to board the train at Sri Rangam. We went to Sri Rangam by bus from TPJ. I purchased the tickets only till VM. I was still unsure whether to return by 104SR PDY-MS Passenger or 2636 MDU-MS Vaigai Express or by bus. SRGM to VM cost Rs.27 in a passenger. Later, this ticket would go to my collections of tickets and would be preserved as an antique. Only a nutcase(railnut) like me would board a passenger.

I saw twin WDG-3A in 3D livery with a rake of empty flatbed cars. I mistook it for WDM-3D infact. There was no sign of my train and so we started with our personal talks. My chithappa was actually working in GOC Administration section but later took VRS. He recollected his experiences traveling with Loco Inspectors and Officers. Footplating was boring to him. Mostly painful experiences. He regards Railway job as a hectic job. He said that no rail man is a rail fan. Then later he recollected his experiences of footplating Pandian, Nellai, Vaigai and Pallavan Expresses. He has even footplated WDP-3A, WDM-2's. I could have used his influence-many time but I didn't wish to do it. Man! He has been in all prestigious trains!

WDM-2#17519 GOC came with MDU-VM passenger. It was late at SRGM by half an hour. But the train had a lot of buffers so I was positive that it would reach on time. The train was crowded! It had good patronage. All seats were full. I tried checking a few coaches and I got a seat in one. I kept my luggages in it and came to the door. Taking caution, I started practising my favourite hobby. My train halted at all stations. Valadi was one interesting station. It had a VLR. It was a good place to rail fan overnight I guess. The station layout impressed me.

Lalgudi, Kattur, Pullambadi, Kallakudi Palanganatham were some of the stations which I noticed as I proceeded with my journey. I could observe light diesel locos were waiting in loop at many stations. Once my train entered the station they departed. Throughout my run till VM, I saw 3 such locos in same fashion. Kallakudi, Sillakudi and then came Ariyalur. I expected a few people to get down. Few people did get down. But more people got in. So I came back to my seat-to preserve it. Otta Kovil, Vellur Halt, Sendurai, Mathur, Ichangadu, Pennadam were some of the station names I saw after Ariyalur. My WDM-2 hauled train was trying its best to perform like an EMU, but somewhere something was missing.

It was at Ichangadu my train was made to wait for about 15 mins for no reason. I thought that there would be an overtake. At least a goods crossing. But nothing. When my train reached Virudhachalam, many people got down. I got a window seat from here.

Praang!!! Typical GOC horn. WDP-3A came with a passenger from Cuddalore Port. I was surprised. Infact, I never knew that trains ran till Cuddalore Port from Vridhachalam. What to do, my rail knowledge is still poor. As the train proceeded towards Villupuram, I was checking the timetables. I found out the train was running a bit early. The lady next to me even asked whether I was a Railway official. Note that I wasn't in my favourite blue shirt/black pant. Somehow, people mistake me for a elderly person. Something like a 28 year old person. I am only 22!

The next stop was Puvanur(I hope I got the name right). I could observe the gangmen waving the green flag even before the train stopped. No one got down or boarded at this station. Another ideal spot for rail fanning??? Then came Meppuliyur and then Ulundurpet and my train took the loop at Ulundurpet. I got down from the coach. I knew 6127 MS-GUV was on its way. I had no mobiles, camera etc. For this entire trip, I was entirely taking notes in my notepad. I looked around. I didn't see any buildings, nor pizza corners or corporate buildings. I was out of urban jungles. Twin WDM-2 hauled 6127 crossed me at good speeds. As usual, I waved at the LP's. I expected Vaigai overtake at Parikkal or Kandambakkam but it didn't happen. My guess was 2636 was running late. My train negotiated a long curve before entering into Villupuram.

I got down at Villupuram. I made up my mind to return by bus. I went outside and inquired with share auto drivers about bus timings to Chennai. They asked me to wait outside the station. They said that regular drivers won't allow share auto drivers to do business inside Railway Station as share autos are cheaper while regular ones are quite expensive. I crossed the road and waited there. The same auto man came. I was surprised to find that it was only Rs.2 from Villupuram Railway station to Bus stand. If it was Chennai it would have cost me at least Rs.10/- for the same distance!

I boarded a bus from Villupuram to Tambaram. The cost was around Rs.45. The bus took aleast 2 and half hours to reach Tambaram. It was a wonderful route! Yes, the bus took the GST Road from Villupuram. Amazing. It was a hot day too. I opened my idly parcel given by my chithi(at TPJ) and started munching it. The bus ride was good. I wish my friend Vimal was with me. Then from Tambaram to Anna University I commuted in 21G. From Anna University to Krishna Sweets, I came in 23M. I reached my house at 1630hrs. My dog Damien was having his precious evening nap.

-Krishna Kumar.S

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krishna,

Very good trip report. Maybe if you had a camera, this trip report would have been great.

Anyway, Good one. Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Vimal

Unknown said...

nice post dude! i now got the answer for why u hadnt been in touch for a while.... ;) looks like u had to do too many shifts for the return journey. must have been a real tiring trip for sure. good loco spottings too :) but still i cud feel the fotos missing staying away from the railway atmosphere!

good job mate :)

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@Ashwin: This trip report got delayed da. This trip was done in the month of May, but the trip report was published only in August. The reason why I was out of touch is due to my official work. Yes, I didn't have a mobile or camera during this trip. That's why I have added third party images.

Thanks,

Krishna

vineshkumar said...

Thanks u r information

its very useful

Madurai Hotels