Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Kavaraipettai Trip[03/08/2008]


Ashwanth Jr? Introducing Ashwin Kumar to IRFCA-MAS.



03rd August, 2008.
Myself, Ramki, Vimalakar and Ashwin decided to visit Kavaraipettai for an RF. Kuzhandhai Ramki and myself met at Saidapet. We boarded an EMU towards Park. BRC WAG-5#23667 crossed us with a BCNA rake near Kodambakkam. We saw WAP-4#22306 with 2635 MS-MDU Vaigai Superfast Express near Chetpet, I can also observe WAM-4#20581 slowly moving out of MS. It should have brought incoming 2606 TPJ-MS Pallavan Superfast Express. We entered the subway and we were going slow. We were trailing behind many people. Heavily congested line!! Ramki said, "OVERTAKE". We both overtook a few people with CAUTION without dashing on anyone.


We went to MAS suburban section. We bought Kurkure, Lays to add some flavour to the trip. We waited for Vimal who arrived around 13:20hrs. We boarded a Nellore MEMU. We got our seats. It was crowded but still there was some place for people to stand. We got a call from Ashwin saying that he was waiting at BBQ. We started at 13:50hrs. And I could see Tirupati Express starting towards TPTY. It didn't have the push-pull type cab. It had a AJJ WAM-4 in front. I guess it should have had a Sapthagiri WAM-4 at the rear end too.


It's me posing near the line towards MAS.


We got the preference near BBQ. We were crossing the suburban stations soon. Our EMU did decent speed. We expected Pinakini crossing at Tiruvottiyur or Ennore. My first maiden proper spotting of WAG-9 took place near Wimco Nagar. Later a couple of WAG-7 hauled Goods train crossed us. There were a lot of freight action. WAP-4 hauled Pinakini Express overtook my EMU at MPS. Man! I was speechless. DTS effect. The speed was marvellous. All people inside the EMU were speechless for a few moments. Dhadhak! Dhadak! Dhadhal!
We got down at Kavaraipettai station. It was only a few seconds. I could observe a freighter coming towards MAS. We got into action. But sadly, there was a caution order of 20kmph and all trains came slow. AJNI WAG-7#27774 came with a BCNA rake. The ALP gave a curious look at me. Then we assembled together near the station board to take a pic. I took pics of Ashwin in different angles. We all felt that he looked like Ashwanth. Almost 80 percent.




Sensors. Train Protection and Warning System.


We spotted Sapthagiri liveried caboose. We walked over the tracks. I could observe a few sensors placed on tracks. I have taken pics of these and posted it in Orkut and also in the server. We went towards a small shop nearby. Ramki and Vimal had Bingos. Then we had some cool drinks. We stopped a Pani Poori vendor. Ashwin wasn't interested in it, so only we three had it. The rate was 0.50paise for one piece. I had around 8. Then we purchased a water bottle and chilled ourselves. The weather was good. Awesome, railfanning environement. The light was slightly less. So all my camera mobile photos weren't coming out properly. The best of all action was yet to come. We literally camped in between the tracks. There was a lot of space. We stayed safe.
Navjeevan Express came with AJJ WAP-4#22626. We were surrounded by trains soon! WAG-7#27709 came with Sangamitra Express towards Patna. We waved at the LP's. Honks came in different tunes. We knew that the LP's have recognised us as railfans. The ALP waved out to us with a friendly smile. What a refreshing sight! I was very happy. I always like to see goods locos hauling mainline express trains. I like such eccentric combinations. We waited for sometime. We sat on trolleys, wheels kept nearby. The trolley had some wooden pieces missing here and there. I felt as if sitting on a throne. I didn't feel such comforts even while sitting on cuishion seats. We were talking of SBC convention and we were planning other small trips. I could also observe small houses being constructed near the tracks.



Panaromic location. Pic taken in Kavaraipettai.


I use to think that once I start working, I should save money and purchase a plot near the tracks. Some locations like Kandambakkam(VM-TPJ line), Kavaraipettai(GPD line). A stay over here for a couple of days would be refreshing for the souls and also for the minds. Then I took a pic of an EMU coming towards MAS. It didn't have a board, but LED type lights to indicate the destination name. It was written "MAS" in a dotted manner. WAP-4#22669 came with HWH-MAS Coromondal Express. We then purchased the tickets and got ready to board an EMU. As everyone were looking towards GPD side for the EMU, a WAG-5 hauled freighter was approaching fast from MAS side. I yelled out "hey WAG-5, WAG-5". The LP's honked while they crossed us smiling. The train was doing atleast 80kmph. I looked at GPD side. I could observe a wappie coming slowly, due to caution. I yelled out again, "hey wappie da wappie da". WAP-4#22219 was approaching us. The LP's switched on the headlights for a few seconds. Prong! Prong! They knew that we were railfans. Prong! Prong! It was NZM-CAPE Tirukkural Express. Friendly ALP's! As they crossed us, the ALP waved at Ramki.



L-R: Ashwin, Vimal and Kuzhandhai Ramki.



After a few minutes, our EMU came and we boarded it. At Athipattu, some guy fell off from the train just as our EMU started. The entire coach panicked. It seems his legs went inside the gap between the platform and the EMU. He came out later as others helped him out. He was safe! Thank God. I thought otherwise for a few minutes. Ramki witnessed this scene much more cleared than me, maybe he could explain better. We saw Hyderabad Express, Charminar Express, Circar and Jaipur Superfast(notsure). Circar was hauled by a WAG-9. We couldn't spot clearly the numbers. Ashwin got down at BBQ as he was heading towards Korattur. Vimal and Ramki got down at MAS and proceeded towards Park. I boarded 1 Express to Adyar Signal to return home.

-Krishna Kumar Jr.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well firstly thanks a lot for introducing me to the IRFCA-MAS gang! i indeed had a great time with u guys :) wud like to have similar sessions in the future!

and a small correction i wud like to make is that the circar exp was hauled by BZA WAG-5E 23989 "Krishnaveni" which is quite similar in looks with the WAG9. just like how i resemble ashwanth ;) hehe!

Vimal said...

Hi Krishna,

Very nice trip report. Good job.

Bye,

Vimal

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@Vimal: Thanks, Vimal.
@Ashwin: Thanks for the correction. And welcome to the MAS gang. Officially, your number would be passed on referred by me.