Thursday, February 12, 2009

Indian Railways-Steam Engine Ride


Madhan, Sridhar Joshi and Nishant. Pic taken by Sriram Karthik.

January 26th, 2009.

The day started off in a dull manner. My original plan was to see the Republic Day Parade in the Television. But I decided to join my friends on a visit to Royapuram to see the steam locomotive heritage run. Frankly speaking I am not much of a steam fan. It must be due to the fact that steams were stopped during my early days of childhood and I witnessed only diesels and electric action. But I admit that I got interest in trains only after getting impressed with chug-chug sounds and the steam whistle. I use to play with toys when I was a kid. I remember seeing Steam locomotives in action hauling Cholan Express but I have got faint memories of those days.

I purchased a ticket to Royapuram at Kasturibai Nagar and I walked to the MRTS platform at Kasturibai Nagar. Satya Narayanan was coming in the EMU and I was to join him in the same EMU. At Mylapore a.k.a Tirumailai, Sriram Karthik joined us and got into our coach. Our EMU ride was good. My EMU negotiated the curve before MSB. I saw the corpse of a dog lying on the sides. It must be at least a week! Poor thing. Reminded me of my present adopted dog Damien. Then we boarded a Gummidipondi bound EMU at Beach station and got down at Royapuram which was the next station.


Pic taken at Royapuram. Pic taken by Sriram Karthik.

The platforms at Royapuram were empty in my opinion. We decided to walk along the tracks. In the far distance, I could see the steam locomotive. The locomotive was majestic and that changed my mood slightly. I also became interested in steam engines, though I am much more of a electric fan. Immediately, I called up my house and commanded my father to quit all works at once and come to Saidapet "Lonely Express platform". Please note that "lonely express platform" in my house means the platform in Saidapet where Fast EMU’s, expresses pass without stopping. That's the fast line. The platform is lonely and no train stops there as EMU's use slow line. That's also the place where I study when I am free.

I immediately called up a friend of mine who drives Auto Rickshaw and asked him to pick my father at my house. Then I called up my father and convinced him to board the auto to come to SP. My father being loyal to the Government was interested only in travelling in Government transport buses. I didn’t want my father to strain so asked him to come by auto. He is in his 60's and I don't want him to strain but he is more fit and energetic than anyone else. He still believes simplicity is the best!


WP#7200 Steam Locomotive. Pic taken by Sriram Karthik.

Sridhar, Chechu, Madhan, Suresh Babu, Dilip and Nishant were waiting near the locomotive. This was the first time I was meeting Madhan. Sridhar led us into a coach and asked us not to move here and there. Looks like Sridhar has got a lot of contacts. The coach was nicely decorated with balloons, color papers. It had speakers, music systems and some nice music. Chechu sir wasn’t much interested in music as he believed that it destroyed the natural ambience. He was right; the entire mood went for a toss as silly songs were played almost throughout the run.

It didn’t look like a Heritage Run, but some other thing which I don’t want to mention. The songs certainly destroyed everything. Apart from this, everything was perfect. We whistled and moved out of Royapuram. We did only 20kph. I never believed that I was behind a steam locomotive. Credits to Perambur Loco Works for the overhauling and repair works. In my opinion, the loco performed well more than I expected.


The Hero got resurrected. Pic taken by Sriram Karthik.

As we crossed Chennai Beach Jn, people stood in platforms to wave out to us. The entire crowd was amazed. The young ones were excited to see the steam train. It seems they already knew that we were coming. Few people had the national flag with them and waved out to us. We need to appreciate one thing in our country. Our country values Heritage more than anything else. Over these years, it is only the heritage and culture which has bonded us towards progress. During testing times, it’s only the heritage, culture, moral values, traditions which would save us and nuclear arms, weapons won’t really save us.


My steam train negotiates a curve. Pic taken by Krishna Kumar.S

As we crossed Fort, I could see Poochi Venkat taking snaps from the road. I tried to capture a photo of Poochi Venkat, but it wasn't possible as my camera mobile was incapable. People were standing in the roads and taking snaps through camera mobile. Even young couples stopped and took photos of the train. The MTC bus drivers also waved to us as they drove the buses. Meanwhile, one of my friends Viswanatha Srinivasa Prasad was also travelling parallel to us in an EMU. We were running parallel for sometime and VSP's EMU overtook us!! VSP is 50 year old. But I just couldn't believe that he is old. He was doorplating the EMU and waving out to us and his reflexes amazed me. If I was in his place, I wouldn have thought twice before standing at the door especially when the EMU was crowded.


A child gets interviewed by the media. Pic taken by Krishna Kumar.S

We were greeted with warmth in all stations. As we crossed Chetpet, people from houses, flats waved to us. Chechu sir also waved to the kids, crowd standing outside. I guess Chechu sir went highly nostalgic. I noticed that a person was having his shave. After hearing the whistle, he came and stood with his family in the balcony. He had soap all over his face and he waved out to the train. We had a halt at Mambalam. It was a long halt and it took nearly 40 minutes to start from there. Out of nowhere, suddenly AJJ WAP-4 entered into Mambalam with Pallavan Express at high speed. I wondered whether he would stop at Mambalam. Chechu sir got down at MBM itself. I guess he got fed up with the music. It was irritating, but we couldn't help it.


Details about Steam locomotive WP#7200. Pic taken by Sriram Karthik.

I informed my father that we are nearing Saidapet. Lots and lots of people were standing in the platform. I couldn’t spot my father. The train was nearing the Saidapet South Cabin. For those readers, who do not know about South Cabin-it is actually my friend Aravind's house which is located near the tracks. And since it is south of Saidapet it is nicknamed as South Cabin- similar to the term which is used in Railways. Almost the entire coach waved out to Aravind’s family. I could see Vimal with handkerchief tied to the head and Aravind was taking videos with his new camera.

I had the plan of getting down at Guindy if the train had stopped but it didn’t stop. My plan was to wave at Aravind from the train. I was in touch with Harish Kumar and Poochi Venkat through mobile and updating them through phone calls. The sad thing was due to some problem in my problem, I couldn’t send any messages. I didn’t even have time to troubleshoot. So all updates to interested friends/relatives was done through calls! I spent nearly Rs.50 in a span of 3 hours/Re. 1 per each call. As my train crossed Tirusoolam, I could see Poochi standing near the tracks taking snaps. Poochi was coming all the way in a bike with his friend to take photographs. As usual, I yelled out, "POOCHI". I could recollect that during the farewell to MG at Tambaram, Poochi was taking video.

Sweet boxes, juice, water bottles were distributed to us. Sadly, I forgot to take it home and I left the sweet box in the coach itself. We had a long halt at Pallavaram. I wondered why? It was more than half an hour. I got down from the coach and got ready to take a snap of Vaigai. I could see a lot of crowd standing on the tracks watching the steam engine. As the signal turned yellow in B-line, the station master and the support staff requested the crowd to move away from the tracks. I knew 2635 Vaigai was on its way. The train was doing only 45kph in my opinion. I think that the train was given a caution order due to the heritage run. As the WAP-4 came into view, I waved out to the LP. The headlights were switched ON.


My train crosses Saidapet. Pic taken by Krishna Kumar.S

After Vaigai had passed, I informed Sriram Karthik and Dilip that I would be leaving. I went to the platform and saw a book stall. I thought of buying a few crime novels-Tamil crime novels. I purchased 5 Rajesh Kumar and 3 Pattukottai Prabhakar Crime Novels. I boarded an EMU back home. Since the solar eclipse was about to start I didn’t want to have anything. I had some food during the early morning hours. It’s a trivial issue. I don’t know whether to follow these rituals or not, but since my parents have requested me I have decided to follow the rules. I boarded an EMU back home and got down at Saidapet. I then boarded 5E to reach home. I went for a sleep. Once the solar eclipse was over, I had a bath and immediately had food! I was damn hungry at that time.


Vaigai Express walking through Pallavaram. Pic taken by Krishna Kumar.S

Wish you good luck,

-Krishna Kumar.S

No comments: