Saturday, September 20, 2008

Madurantakam Revisited [Nostalgic mood]


First pic of the day: WDP-3A#15533 hauling 2662 Podhigai Express, near Guindy. Sorry for the blur.

This was an interesting trip and a content one. I don't know what I am desiring for in life, but it's not money or luxury. I am in search of something which I myself don't know, but I believe that I found that in Madurantakam. Madurantakam is a small town with a small railway station on the Chengalpet-Villupuram section. It is located 85km away from Chennai. The station before Madurantakam is Karunguzhi and the next station is Pakkam. Madurantakam is also an important station and expresses like 6123/6124 Anantapuri Express and 2693/2694 Pearl City Express have got a halt in both directions. All fast passengers, passengers halt at Madurantakam. Surprisingly, Madurantakam hasn't got a loop and it may get a loop line after two years. However, less important stations like Ottivakkam, Karunguzhi, Tozhuppedu, Olakur have loop lines.


Ottivakkam Railway station. A small station just after Chengalpet.

My life suddenly became busy in Sept-2009, but I wanted to visit Madurantakam again. One way or another I always find time. Madurantakam had everything in my opinion. Humans, animals, shops, mosques, churches, temples, railway stations along with goats, hens, pups, dogs, cats and cows. This was my second visit to Madurantakam. At that time, I never knew that Madurantakam would become my favourite place. The place is not that modern, but yet it has got my countrymen and I am at my will to visit any place in my motherland.

I got up around 5AM and as usual the same 103SR story. I reached Saidapet by bus and boarded a local to Guindy. You might wonder why always I reach Saidapet and then Guindy, rather than reaching Guindy directly in bus? Many reasons. One of the reasons is that I like Saidapet station very much and the other fact is buses to SP are more freqeunt from Adyar. Buses towards Guindy are slightly less.

My train 103SR came with WAP-1#22016 at 0652hrs. The engine was in a poor shape. It lacked paints and it was a bit rusty. But I still admired it. Exterior appearances are immaterial. What matters is the soul. The run was good with decent speed. The train rushed through the sub-urbs. I stood at the door.

WDP-3A#15534 pulled into Tambaram with 2694 Pearl City Express as my train 103SR entered into Tambaram. This train is very special to me. During my travels in early 1990's in Pearl City Express, one AIADMK MLA Prabhakaran was also travelling with me at that time. I was a kid at that time. He was quite impressed with me. Don't know why? While interacting with me, he put his shawl over me, before he got down at some place named Kovilpatti. The shawl is still kept safely in my bureau. I was travelling with my parents in First Class. I faintly remember those incidents. However, when there is a mention of 2693 Pearl City at my home, this incident is quite famous.


Ottivakkam Level crossing.

After Tambaram, I was standing at the door and I would stand all the way till Madurantakam. I saw Sethu Express near Potheri with 17803(I think). I saw AJJ WAP-1#22008 with Villupuram-Tambaram passenger near Kattangulathur. The climate near Chengalpet was awesome. My train started from Chengalpet a bit late. I sat at the doors. This train had a good patronage. It was crowded but the doors were empty and I was certainly enjoying. My train did good speeds, negotiating curves. The old meter gauge track accompanied me all the way. My train stopped at Padalam. I could see MG tanker rake stationed there. Infact, I saw that through Google-Earth too. It's been there for a long time, infact for more than a year.

My train halted at Karunguzhi for more than 15 minutes for a crossing. I didn't know what train would be coming. It wasn't a overtake, but a crossing. I thought that it could be a Sampark Kranti. But it was actually a train from Nagercoil. GOC WDM-2#16881 came with Nagercoil-Egmore Express. There was a tired traveller behind me. He was so furious being delayed that he couldn't help himself from cursing the Railways. As the train crossed us, he said, "Saniyan, late ah vandhu kazhutha arukkudhu". But I was thinking the other way round. I like being put in loops for crossings. There are many reasons. Your train will be halting at a village like place. You won't get a chance to see your nation in it's real beauty. Especially, for people like me who are in city but desire for greenery, these are golden chances. You can also enjoy the strong breeze as another train rushes past you. I will never enjoy a Shatabdi or Rajdhani journey or the Duranto or an A/C travel. I haven't travelled in neither of them as on date.


GOC WDM-2#16881 with Nagercoil-Chennai Express crossing my train at around 20kmph at Karunguzhi.


I took this as a chance and took a few snaps. My train started from Karunguzhi after the crossing and the next halt was Madurantakam. I could see that the MG tracks were being removed at Madurantakam. I walked along the "cremated" MG line and went near the station board and took a snap of it too. I waited till 103SR's departure. I took snaps of the old cement benches, station boards, fences. I could see the olden day spear-pointed barricades. Nice to see that not much of modernisation has been done here. I am not against modernisation, but few things like these should be preserved. You might wonder what I found so enthralling in these old cement benches, station boards, grassy platforms? Seriously, trust me! I haven't got a answer for that, but I liked them.



I sat in one of the station benches under a tree. I spent sometime listening to my favourite Back Street boys collection. Ear phones could be dangerous, but I couldn't resist. I inhaled fresh air and took a deep breath. I felt fresh. I spent sometime rejuvenating like that. Fresh air! My life is so simple and easy. Rs.10,000 per month, 103SR, weekend trips to Madurantakam, reading short novels, Michael Jackson's music, curd rice with pickles, time to play computer games and ofcourse wikipedia. I am quite content in life. A small sense of satisfaction. I am living in my own dream world and I have fallen in love with the planet and the human civilisation.

I was about to start for the temple. I heard a loud honk. I waited for sometime. WAG-9 hauled a freight train towards Villupuram and it crossed me at 50kph. I was surprised to see a freighter at this time. Maduratankam platform itself was in a curve. It was a real beauty to see her coming in a curve.

I went outside the station and took a few snaps. I walked on lonely roads to reach the Shiva temple. I went inside and I observed the cows, dogs around. It was quite big, but empty! I got a doubt that it must be recently constructed. The name of the place was Kadaperi and it's part of Madurantakam. I thanked for my recent successes and also prayed that my chappals outside should be safe.

I went around the temple once. When I entered into the sannidhi, there was a sweet aroma. Sweeter than the room freshners used in corporates. Divine! I was elated to the maximum. I could see the lingam with oil lamp lit near it. It was like a WDM-2's headlight. I had a short rapport with the priest before leaving.


Madurantakam Station Entrance.


I don't see such things often in temples!


Majestic! Lord Shiva and Mother Parvati with Vinayagar and Murugan.

There were a few ladies around. I didn't want to get into any "unwanted" trouble. So I didn't take much photos near the Tank. Else, next time, Madurantakam would become nostalgic in some other way.


A dog with her puppies. How nice and cute! There were 6 puppies.

I came out of the temple. I saw a dog with many puppies. It reminded me of my adopted street dog Damien. I spend quality time watching the puppies. Suddenly, I felt sad. It reflected my current stage in life. I am alone without any brother's or sisters. I have no one to share any feelings. I am denied all happiness by God(or has He got other plans). From my birth, till the present, Indian Railway engines have been great companions, as I celebrate many of my life's happiest moment with them and ofcourse, my friends(needless to say). Maybe that's the reason while interacting with everyone I take that extra liberty, care and affection. I was thinking about God too. Even Lord Ganapathi has got a brother. Even the great Lord of the Universe, Vishnu has got a sister Parvati. Wonder why I was alone? Even the God's who don't have desire/wishes were having siblings. Afterall, I am an human being there is nothing wrong in telling my feelings out.


A goat and a lamb. The goat gave a good pose.

The priest came out and sat in one of the benches. He saw me and was curious. He was wondering why I was taking photos of animals. He must be suspicious of my dress too. Black Pants, half-sleeve dress, backpack, sun glasses(coolers) etc etc. I entered into the town and walked along the bazaar. Somewhere far, I could hear the honk of WAP-4. I looked at my watch. It would have been the 6127 Guruvayur Express towards Guruvayur. I entered into Hotel Nirmala. Exactly two weeks back, myself and Vimal had tiffin in this hotel. The friendly bearer was able to identify me. I decided to have an heavy one. I ordered two Poori's and one Masala Dosai. I was served three type of chutneys. Then I went to Ram temple. I did everything at a snail's place. I took a stroll in the lawns of the temple.

I thought that it would be better if I had some water. I went outside and purchased a water bottle. I had a Bovonto too. The last time, I had this drink was in Rameshwaram with my college friends Venkat and Shanu- my college mates. I entered the temple again and continued writing Sri Rama Jayam. At around 10:20hours, I heard a honk. Must be Pallavan Express from Tiruchi towards Chennai. I took my own time. Then I spent some time listening to devotional music in my mobile. At around 12:30hours, I started my return journey. I boarded a bus bound towards Tambaram. The bus journey was also good. There wasn't much of crowd. I expected the bus to skip Chengalpet. But it touched Chengalpet which surprised me. It took 90 minutes to reach Tambaram. It was a achievenment in my opinion. Aggressive driving.

I reached Tambaram. I boarded a local train and went to Pazhavanthagal. I waited at the BG platform. It was only a matter of few minutes. WAP-4#22526 came with MDU-MS Vaigai Express. After spotting Vaigai, I proceeded towards my relatives house at
PZA. In the evening, I boarded an EMU again and got down at Saidapet. Then I boarded a bus to Adyar and I reached home at 18:00hrs. My dog Damien was sitting under my cousin brother's car.


Last pic of the day. ED WAP-4#22526 with 2636 MDU-MS Vaigai Superfast Express blasting through Pazahvanthangal.

-Krishna Kumar.S

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr.Krishnakumar please

The temple you had visited near the Railway Station is not repeat not Erukateeswarar. It is Lord Venkaateeswarar and Godesses Meenakshi. This temple is not recently constructed. It is about 250 years old and it is recently renovated.

Tks for visiting my native place Kadaperi and the temple. N.Subramanian.

Unknown said...

Nice Snaps Mr.Krishnakumar. Am from madurantakm. Even i didn't take this much of snaps from my native.

Really i Appreciate your work...

- Saran

mani said...

First i say thanks to visit my native place. All photos and info is very nice. why u could't visit erikkatha ramar temple and vary famous big lake. once again you suppose to come and visit this place and collect more information about this place. thanks krishna kumar

Anonymous said...

thanks to visit my native and info and photos are really good. once you come and visit ramar temple and famous lake.