Saturday, May 10, 2008

Rameshwaram-February 2008






Venkat posing before our room. Location:Rameshwaram Railway Station.

February 21st, 2008.
College, Final Year.

It was around 3’o clock in the evening. My college mate Shanmuga Ragavan a.k.a Shanu and myself boarded an EMU at Kasturibai Nagar to Chennai Fort. At Fort we boarded a Tambaram bound local train and reached Egmore, well before time. My college mate Venkata Krishna a.k.a Venkat joined us at Egmore directly.

I spotted WAM-4#20610 and WAP-4#22256 at Egmore. I could see WDM-7#11005 running light. Shanu, Venkat and myself proceeded towards our coach S6. Generally, if I book tickets, I would either get S6 or S2. I got a window seat! Actually it was Shanu's but Shanu gave the window seat to me. Both these guys knew that I am a railfan. Venkat and myself alone proceeded towards the front to note the loco number. My friends were not railfans but they were certainly interested about IRFCA and the railways. But they weren't much interested in technical aspects. But much more into trekking, high-speed travels and sceneries.

The locomotive wasn’t attached! Looks like we arrived early. I explained to Venkat how railfans identify various loco classes and what do road numbers signify. The power was attached only 15 minutes before the scheduled departure. The starter was given PROCEED at 17:00hrs. But the train started only at 17:02hrs. WDM-2#17711 was my power. It gave a powerful honk and we started. Shanu and Venkat were excited. I was excited too but my excitement was dormant. The train did good speed passing sububrs in a jiffy! As we reached Tambaram Sanatorium, our train decelerated and dropped below 15kph. Then it picked up speed and entered into Tambaram-two minutes late.


Venkat and Shanu in Rameshwaram. Pic taken by Krishna Kumar.S

An interesting visitor joined us at Chengalpet. He later on became Venkat's best friend. He was an engineer working at Ford near Singa Perumal Koil. He was traveling to Paramakudi in his friend’s ticket. His friend was suppose to board the train at Egmore, but he didn't. Instead he purchased the ticket and travelled in his name. After finishing his work, he boarded the train at CGL instead of Egmore. Ha ha! Just miss! I thought I had another window seat. At first we were suspicious of this person. Especially I was more suspicious of the guy. This person introduced himself and handed over few biscuits. We couldn’t resist. I took it and pretended as if I was gonna eat it. Then I tactfully, threw it off the window as my train crossed Madurantakam. Shanu and Venkat ate it though. The plan was just incase if something was in it, at least I would be consciuous. The person seemed to be good, but I was not to take any chances. But at the same time, I can't deny hospitality offered by an another human being.

Venkat and that person interacted very well and they were talking of future plans, job plans etc. We were put on a loop line at Tozhuppedu (TZH). This place is well known for road accidents. WAP-4 ripped past our train with 6128 GUV-MS Guruvayur Express. The speed was so fast and I couldn’t note the numbers. By the time we reached Tindivanam, I was hungry. But we decided to have dinner after Villupuram. That was Venkat's order. We reached Villupuram on time. My dear Venkatu "mamu" had cooked food for all of us. Good chubby boy!



After finishing dinner, I sat alone and listened to the track sounds as my train did high speeds. Venkat and Shanu interacted with that person. I forget his name-too bad that I couldn't include his name in this travelogue, but I guess Venkat still remembers it. I felt a bit guilty for not trusting him, but it happens in life. My train was crossing Virudhachalam and I was updating the Chennai Gang through SMS with spottings. I even got an SMS from Naveen when my train crossed Virudachalam.

The trip became exciting as it progressed. As my train rolled out of Virudachalam Jn, I could spot WDG-3A#14665 with BOXN rake entering into VRI. We reached Tiruchi on time at 22:20hrs. By this time majority were asleep in the coach except in our bay. I called my Tiruchi uncle and said "Hi". After Tiruchi, I went and sat at a small seat near the door. I think this seat was exclusively for TTE's??? Shanu climbed up and slept on the upper berth. Venkat and our new friend were busy talking till night but he came often to the door to watch the crossings. WDM-2#17711 was too good. I don't know what hit the LP's head, after crossing Pungudi the train started accelerating and it was doing nearly 100kph in my opinion. There were lots of shakes and the speed was terrific. I never knew WDM-2 can be so ferocious. For sometime, I wondered whether I was in a spacecraft or a rocket. Only WDM-2 can perform like that.

"Tatak, Tatak, Tatak, Dhadhak, Dhadhak,". Praang!! Praaaaang!WDM-2#17711 screamed through darkness.

I looked outside the window. I couldn't see anything. I can observe mountains and small hills but the vision was still poor and I could only wish there was a bit more of moonlight. The rest of the place was like a desert. Then came the moment of the trip. Our train stopped and we were put on loop at a small wayside station. I don't recollect the name of the station. The time was 2315hrs. My train was on loop and the mainline was to my right. I was wondering whether it would be Pandian Express or Nellai. I could observe a dog sitting on the track and was sleeping. I threw a stone and it went away. I didn't want Pandian to run over it. I got down and stood at the ground for sometime. My friend Shanu got down from upper berth and came to the door. He sat near the door and we talked for sometime. At that time we were doing our final year project and Shanu was my project mate. He asked me for the progress of my work and I said that I haven't found the solution for my module yet! For some time we had a chat about our project. Guess where? In the middle of a no-man's land somewhere between TPJ-DG.

23.20hrs. Station starter was red.

23.25hrs. Station starter was red.

23.26hrs. Station starter turns green.

The reflection of the greenlight is seen the rear coaches.

23.29hrs. WDM-3D crossed my (erstwhile 7613) Sethu Express with 2638 Pandian Express. Pandian was at least 30 minutes late in my opinion. The train came from a right curve and proceeded towards Chennai Egmore (MS). My train quickly accelerated but it was again stopped in the next station.

Time: 2350hrs.

My friend Venkat and myself were at the door, while Shanu returned back to the bay. Venkat was seeing Indian Railway's night life for the first time and he was amazed. He was surprised to find that a train proceeding towards Egmore from south crosses so many other trains. He wished that IRFCA could interfere and force the Railways to make proper decisions like doubling the south lobby. He seriously believed only IRFCA could do goodness to India and not politicans. He commented that the IR system was saturated. I said,"Buddy, the IRFCA knew it long time back". WDM-3D hauling Nellai Express crossed my train and it was a real beauty to see her coming. Amazing. Typical diesel honk and the sounds were simply superb. For sometime, I was floating in some other time dimension. Diesel action at nights could be memorable!

The night action was terrific. I like Sethu Express mainly for this reason. It proceeds fast and quick till TPJ. However, after Tiruchi(TPJ) in TPJ-MDU section it has got a lot of crossings and that adds adventure to the train journey. We went to bed to grab some sleep. It should have been only 20 minutes. We were again put on loop. Venkat and myself got up and went to the door. A non-railfan in action! Interesting to hear, right? We could spot that a train was already waiting for us in outer. It seems we were a bit late. It was a WDM-2 and she wasn't a smoker! The engine notched up and as it came forward accelerating, I could see the LP and ALP exchanging signals with greenlamps. I managed to take a video of the crossing but it didn't come out well. I wasn't sure of the train but I guessed that it could be Sethu Express as the power was a WDM-2 and the train appeared to be a small one and wasn't a 24 coacher. Surprisingly, our train wasn't given clearance. Very soon, WDM-3D blasted all the way with a train towards MS. I thought that this could be 2634 Kanya Kumari Express. There is a equal chance that I could be wrong, as it was night and I could have spotted a WDM-2 for a WDM-3D too. If I had got this wrong, then all the remainder of my spottings could be erroneous.

After Dindigul, we all went to sleep. We didn't know at what time we reached Madurai. We were in loop somewhere and I saw a WDP-3A rushing past us. I was half-asleep I wasn't sure how many crossings I would have missed during sleep. This could be 2662 Pothigai Express or 2694 Pearl City Express. When I got up again, I realized that my train has crossed Madurai. At around 03:30hrs, our good friend-Ford Engineer got down. Then I went to bed again. I got up around 05:00hrs again. I got ready to catch the video of the Pamban. I wished my coach was little more near the locomotive.

Around 0515hrs, my train crossed the Pamban. The train slowed down to 15kph and the track sounds were excellent. This was my first journey over the Pamban Bridge. I even took a video, but it wasn't clear.

"Tunk, Tunk, cluck-cluck, Dhannk dhannk".

I am still living that moment.

We got down at 0545hrs. We booked a room in the station itself. We need to pay Rs.50/- as a bribe to the clerk. Pathetic! What to do.. new place.. security of belongings was necessary and the guy promised to arrange a guide, a auto and food at cheapest cost. But we were bothered about security of our luggages and we didn't mind paying that extra money. Looking at me he said that I was a rich person and I could afford. I wonder how he can assume such things on his own. I was a bit amused. The clerk was happy after receiving Rs.50. He owed to protect our luggages. We got ready and there was a small change in my dress. Venkat and myself went to the temple in dhoti, without shirt while Shanu accompanied us with formals. We had a nice darshan. We had our bath from waters taken from all 17 holy wells. The clerk arranged a guide and we paid him Rs.100/- for helping us out. He helped us to avoid queues. Looks like the universal passport with Gandhiji's face is quite popular.

We then took some rest and went to a nearby "parotta kadai or a small shop". I could see fish being fried, chicken being roasted and egg omelette being prepared. The fish was fried on a oil tava(I hope I got the right word?) I helped myself with 5 parottas and vegetable kurma since I was a veg-guy. Man! The taste was simply superb. I bet Venkat and myself enjoyed the most! As usual, Shanu was calm and composed. We were very hungry. The reason being the fact that we had our last food earlier at Villupuram the previous day around 15 hours back. We wanted to have our darshan with empty stomach so we didn't take our breakfast. The cost of one paratha was only Rs.3/-.






Venkat posing before Parotta shop.

We thought of taking a ride in the Rekla(horse-cart). I am bored of being behind engines having "horse power(HP)". Now this was the time to be behind a real horse to experience the real horse power! We took one and went around Rameshwaram. We went to the beaches and I could see dry fish being dried all over the place. I could also see the Indian National flag flying high and a sign cautioned fishermen not to ingress into Srilankan waters. There was also a warning for motorboats asking them not to fish near the shores. They were allowed to fish beyond 3km into the sea.



We walked all the way to the station from the beach. It was a long journey. We walked through Agraharams, muddy streets, small roads and reached the station. It took more than half an hour. We got a bit tired. The reason was none of us slept properly the day earlier. We were busy watching night crossings. We didn't have time to see other places. Our main target was the temple darshan. We have done that and it was more than enough for us. For our return journey, our coach was the 15th from the engine. It was S2 I think. I got ready to shoot the Pamban bridge. WDM-2#17711 was the power again. It will haul me back to MS (Chennai Egmore). This time the locomotive would haul me in LHF(or long hood forward).

The up journey turned out to be interesting. Continue reading....My train entered into Pamban bridge at 15kph. And then after crossing the bridge it notched up in a curve letting out puffs of smoke. What a beauty! Throughout the Ramanathapuram district my train maintained 70-80kmph. I could see peacocks too. The area was dry. It lacked rainfall badly.

A family boarded our train at Ramanathapuram. A lady aged 30 years, a grandmother, a girl of 5 years and one elderly women possibly a family friend. My train was waiting for a WDM-3A hauled passenger to cross. Once the clearance was given, our train started its journey towards Chennai. Shanu, Venkat and myself stood at the door on the right. The grandmother was looking at me constantly. I smiled at her and then looked outside the door. Later, I found that she was looking at me constantly. Later she called me and asked her daughter, "Isn’t he looking like your brother? She was referring to her son actually. They asked my age and I said that I was 22". It was hard to believe. No one believed that I was 22. Atleast they will add up 5 years to it. Once my dearest college HOD Mr. Ravi commented, "You look like a father of two kids". I took pride on that. Guess what? Ravi is also a part of IRFCA and a WDM-2 fan!!! My HOD is a railfan!

My train reached Madurai on time. I called up my uncle in Madurai to say Hi! Since the incoming 2635 Vaigai express was late, my train waited at Madurai for more than half an hour. My train lost precious time here even though arriving at MDU on time. It arrived with a WDG-3A as power! I was surprised to see Vaigai hauled by WDG-3A. From Madurai till Dindigul, we were standing at the door. Venkat and myself were talking in Hindi. My Hindi was so atrocious and bad, Shanu got irritated and tensed. We reached Dindigul slightly late. We got down and interacted with Shanu’s uncle who bought us dinner packets as we informed him the earlier day itself. Shanu and Venkat got busy with Pon Ram’s Biriyani and I helped myself with idli. That lady asked for a lower berth. We wondered what to do. I gave her my lower berth.

Well if I really had a sister then I would have given it. For sometime, I was a bit upset with myself. I shouldn't have given? I wanted to railfan. But later I told myself, "Relax".



The elderly women preferred a upper berth and she climbed up and I took her lower berth. I could observe RAC occupants seated in lower berth. There were lot of ladies around probably college girls returning back to Chennai. The train was doing good speed and I was standing at the door. My friend Venkat called me and said that the blokes were all drunk and they could create a mess. What Venkat would do was something, which suprised me. Venkat was awake all day night and made sure there was no harassment or abuse to any ladies. I went to bed somewhere after Dindigul and I got up only at Melmaruvattur and was surprised to see this guy Venkat awake sitting along the edge of my seat. I knew I had a good hearted friend, a friend who cares for justice. I know about him. He won't do anything for other's appreciation. I know I have won my life! My life has got a meaning, especially if such guys were around. My WDM-2 blasted across darkness passing through Madurantakam with a honk acknowledging my thoughts.

I got up at Melmaruvattur and I sent another update to MAS gang at 0430hrs. Poor Ramesh.S! This SMS woke him up and he even asked where I was at that moment. Most of my friends sleep with mobiles in non-silent mode and they would receive an SMS every 2 hours minimum if I am railfanning. My train reached Mambalam at 0715hrs. I got surprised. That lady’s younger brother has come to receive his mother, sister and niece. God! He was like me! The face, the style, cheeks etc etc… But the guy had a beard. He hasn't shaved for a week I guess. And he wasn't that stout as me.

My train was made to halt at Chetpet for some dumb reason. I wondered why? All of a sudden, I heard a honk and I saw WDM-3D#11113 hauling a train towards MS. It was 2634Kanya Kumari Express in A line!!!! This is not fair! Damn! A overtake. Why can't they allow us into MS first? We reached Egmore at 0805hrs. The train was late! I boarded an EMU to Fort. I switched EMU's and took the MRTS towards Kasturibai Nagar while my friends departed in bus. I reached my house at 0900hrs. My dog Damien was waiting at the door.

-Krishna Kumar.S

2 comments:

Unknown said...

your journey towards rameshwaram, u call up ur uncle at trichy, but on ur return journey u call up an uncle when u reach madurai. jus wanna know whether u have uncle's at both those places or was just a typo error ??????

Krishna Kumar.S said...

@ Manoj:

I am referring to two different uncles. The one at Tiruchi is the youngest and the one at Madurai is the eldest. Thanks for your interest! Keep visiting and happy reading.